What Is This "Milk Kefir?"

15:45:00

     What is milk kefir?

     If this' the first time you've heard about such thing. Let me give you a quick intro about it. Milk kefir is a probiotic that is made by fermening milk with kefir grains or with powdered kefir starter culture. It is healthier than yogurt because it contains more vitamins and has a lesser sugar content. It's easy to milk kefir at home! All you need is the starter or the grains, which, I have to say, is a little hard to find. Once you do though, you'll be keeping them for good if you take care of the grains! I'd like to think of it as having a new "micro sized" pet. Grains give out more probiotics than the powedered starter. The starter can only last so long and it eventually cannot ferment anymore. Powedered culture starters are easier to find (check Healthy Options).  ʘ‿ʘ


Homemade milk kefir


     How is it made?

     I'm more accustomed to using grains than starters. Ferment milk with the grains overnight, strain and voila! Milk Kefir! If you want to make the most out of it, you can leave the fermented milk for another 24 hours. You get more vitamins that way. I don't use sterilized milk because the grains feed on the bacteria and sugar in milk for them to ferment and multiply. Plastic spoon and strainers are a must because metal can damage the grains.

My mighty grains!

Straining the milk.

Benefits?

Kefir is rich in:
B12
Probiotics
Vitamin K
Biotin
Folate
Magnesium
Riboflavin
Phosphorus
etc.

Not only that. It also:
Supports detoxification
Aids in digestion
Builds bone density
Curbs unhealthy cravings
Boosts immunity
Fights allergies
and heals the pesky mouth sores! (I can attest to this!)

With lactose intolerant people, based on my experience, it is safe to start with about 1-2 tablespoons.  People who aren't lactose intolerant should also start with that amount. Just to be safe. ⊙▽⊙

Side effects?


     If you're still beginning to take kefir, you MIGHT experience some side effects like bloating and cramping. These, eventually, will ease off once you get used to it. Click here for more info about the side effects of taking kefir. If you ask me, I didn't experience any of these. ȏ.̮ȏ

Kefir + what:

     I mix kefir with fruits like bananas, papaya, pineapple and the like. I also add a little brown or muscovado sugar, chia or flaxseeds. Don't be afraid to experiment with flavors! My dogs love it, too!

Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt such as Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species. It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body.


     Click here for the full article about giving dogs kefir.  Anyway, Instead of buying yogurt, I make this. It's healthier and friendlier on the pocket. (•‿•) I was able to make cheese out of kefir a couple of times before and I'm looking forward to making some more soon!I'd love to hear about your kefir experience. Comment below or send me a message!


Adios!
Michelle



You Might Also Like

1 comments

Ask Me Anything!

Name

Email *

Message *

Let's Connect!

You may reach me at:
mitsuemartin@gmail.com

Follow me on:

Facebook

Instagram:
@mitsuemartin


Search Box