Making Vietnamese Coffee (in Cebu!)

08:30:00

Vietnamese coffee is meant to be relished and enjoyed to the fullest. 
If you're the person who can't always afford a moment to sit back and chill, then maybe you can enjoy this kind of cup some other time.

Vietnamese coffee is not to be rushed for brewing it takes time.
A month ago, Lawrence and I went on a trip to Vietnam and returned with some goodies, a Phin and coffee beans of different varieties Phin is the metal filter they use for brewing. I looked this up online and it costs around USD 7.00 - USD 10.00. That's around PhP 315 to 450. I bet costs cheaper in Vietnam (well of course!). You can try this with other brands. The process is basically the same. :)

Today I'm going to show you how to make black Vietnamese coffee! Hurrah! There's some sort of science behind this so just read on my dears. (char!)

Freshly ground coffee tastes best but if you've got none available, you can always buy some at your local supermarket. I bought five bags of Robusta beans and a traditional hand crank grinder during our visit and it was so worth it. You can buy ground beans or ... just whole beans and grind them yourself. 

Traditional Hand Crank Grinder

Kimlai Robusta Beans. Go for their Mocha, it's delish!


Okay so here we go...



1. First, you'll need a Phin.

2. Put the spanner and filter on top like so...

3. Add two to three heaping teaspoons of ground beans into the chamber.


4. Now some would say not to pack the coffee tightly. I do it anyway because I noticed that if I don't, the water drips fast. 

Note: Before you pour a lot of water in, FIRST put about 20 ml of hot water to allow the coffee to EXPAND making the drip process slow. Then slowly add about 60-80 ml of hot water and wait.

5. The coffee drip should have a similar color to this (thick, dark brown), not lighter... (exactly why I like to press it down first)
Yummy!!

After five minutes, you can now enjoy good, one of a kind coffee. :)



Vietnamese ICED coffee is quite popular and you can make it in a cinch!

In a glass, put about a tablespoon or two of condensed milk before putting the Phin and brewing the coffee. Mix. Add ice and serve. ( ☻ ω ☻ )

I hope you get to try this at home! My one month coffee-fast is over and I broke the fast in the most delectable way ever ---- with Vietnamese Coffee.


Enjoy!


Stay happy.
Michelle 
















You Might Also Like

0 comments

Ask Me Anything!

Name

Email *

Message *

Let's Connect!

You may reach me at:
mitsuemartin@gmail.com

Follow me on:

Facebook

Instagram:
@mitsuemartin


Search Box