Embracing Beautiful Imperfections

04:34:00

     One of the perks of having Cardio Unit staff friends is that they get to use you as a test patient for their machines. I don't really mind being a hamster for a day! Way back when I was working in a hospital, I had a test echo which found that I had mild mitral regurgitation. Nah, not much of a big deal. It doesn't cause me any problems at all. Still, it's there!

     In high school I also found that my dislocating hip joint wasn't at all normal...I had to go to a doctor because I sometimes would feel like a nerve was sort of caught between my bones (or something like that) and my range of movement was limited. I can't raise my legs so high, laterally. Then after running further tests and going to the doctor, it was shown that the ball of my right hip was a little bit longer than the one on the left. Nahhh, not much of a big deal either...and I stopped visiting the doctor because surgery was the only way to correct it. I had no money for that and it meant having a total hip replacement. Why would I want to do that when I'm functioning normally, right? People kept telling me sooner or later I might need it. I'll worry about that when it comes, if it does come.

     Oh, and did I mention my fingers are super flexy, I have a prominent nasal septum and I can control my gag reflex? Lik my fingers can't be straight! I feel like I'm one of those X-Men people who are so darn weird. I can literally be like 1/4 snake-ish and let out the food I just swallowed. I know, it sounds disgusting but I used to enjoy making my brother throw up out of sheer disgust because of this. *big laugh*

     I recall applying for a local and international airline before and the interviewers told me to cover up the boney part of my nose because it was considered a flaw...the F. I tried so hard and almost poured all the concealer on this specific area but it just wouldn't go away. And I was like, seriously? I tell you, if they can't accept who you are and what you have, they're not worth giving your time and effort. That is so superficial. Oh the reality of people setting standards for what beauty is and what it should look like... *sigh*

Me, my bone and Lawrence.

Yep, see that right there!


     It's 2016 and I've been obsessed with running and fitness. Despite all that I feel like I'm still at the top of my game. Who says disabilities can stop you from doing what you love? I admire people who never let those hurdles get in the way. It's just another hump on the road! Whatever flaw you have, consider it as a beautiful imperfection because that's what makes you unique. You might have freckles (like me!), or your eye color might not be the same but hey, the moon has craters but people still find it beautiful! 

stay happy,
Michelle

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Ask Me Anything!

Name

Email *

Message *

Let's Connect!

You may reach me at:
mitsuemartin@gmail.com

Follow me on:

Facebook

Instagram:
@mitsuemartin


Search Box